Re: Virus from Manila

Author:Karl Martino
Posted:5/4/2000; 10:07:51 AM
Topic:Virus from Manila

This is a particularly bad virus- it's an open source virus. Anyone can modify the script to be even MORE destructive and send it back out. It's a relatively simple vbscript.

What Dave said today: "PS: Don't open email enclosures, ever." is the only way to go.

We have 7 people out of 40 that were infected by the time my sys-admin and me made it to work. Luckily we were both in early or the damage could have been far worst.

It overwrote .jpegs on their and other drives those users had mapped to their systems. Thank goodness for backups!

Why don't people listen when you warn them about these things? Melissa was a huge red flag for this.