Incoming

Author:David Valentine

When it comes to any particular protocol, incoming connections are far more difficult to assess than outgoing connections.

Don't forget that incoming connections are disfuntional when used with a NAT, which is what many home networks use as firewalls.

Also, running other stuff over port 80 to get around firewalls only means better firewalls need to be built. I like my stuff to run over ports I can watch. Unless you do stateful packet inspection, you can't tell if something running over port 80 is a web page, a movie, or an xml-rpc session. The only reason these things run on port 80 is because of friggin firewalls.