Re: scriptingNews outline for 5/7/2000

Author:Andrew Z

"The Top-100 page on EditThisPage.Com is no longer accurate. Many of the top sites were moved to a different server yesterday, to distribute the load better. We're working on a Top-100 page for all sites hosted on UserLand servers, in line with the new updates page. "

Could this be done based on a daily or weekly timeframe? I mean this list will stay fairly consistent unless somebody leaves. Here's why I ask:

1. Old sites will be more likely to have a large number of hits than new sites. If site x was 5 months older than site y and both had the same amount of daily hits, site y would always be behind site x. In today's system it may not even make the top 100 list. 2. An alternative system might allow more timely discussions to develop (for example, a site dedicated to a particular topic may rise and fall over time) and leave a discernable history. 3. More even distribution? Site #2 has 80% of the hits as Site #1. Site #3 has 67% of the hits of site #2. Site #4 has 50% of the hits of Site #1. This is where I think the established sites have a clear advantage. Would McCain's Navy ever reach Jeff's weblog? It seems pretty apparent that the number of members doesn't have a direct relationship to the number of hits. 4. Could allow new sites to be highlighted and discovered. Right now, if I was to hit the top100 sites daily for a month would I ever see a new one? If not, why bother looking? Why start an ETP site if nobody will ever see it?

Please don't take this as a big complaint. I just don't see the reason to see the same 100 sites in virtually the exact same position every time I visit. If this is automated could it be done differently with other benefits or is it being done this way for a reason?