Re: "Open" vs. "Closed"

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/10/2000; 9:07:50 AM
Topic:"Open" vs. "Closed"

How about forgetting the lines in the sand. Everything's so blurry. For example, we've shipped the core source code for Frontier since 1992, it was never a question for us, we wanted our users to see how it all fit together and to be able to build different things out of it. I doubt if the word "closed" is an accurate description of how we do it.

Further where I come from "proprietary" is a bad word. This is like making us wear armbands, it's not fair, we don't make Brian do that, why should label us? Let us define ourselves, and let's learn and grow, not stick each other in boxes with insulting titles on them.

BTW, Brian is a good guy, that's why it's worth having this discussion. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't bother.