Re: Walking around amsterdam

Author:William Crim
Posted:5/14/2000; 3:54:38 PM
Topic:Walking around amsterdam

OpenBSD also duplicates a lot of work to find these holes ahead of time. Basicly they are correcting the laziness or inattention of the original programmer. Often by the time they DO fix these problems, the original author has based a whole new slew of features on the old buggy code, which then have to be fixed. :-) This results in OpenBSD using some fairly old software, though it is rock solid software.

Typically you can get 95% of the security in OpenBSD if you just do a minimal Linux install, then ONLY install the packages you need.

I personally would use OpenBSD for Network infrastructure, firewalls, routers, dialin servers, etc. They are also doing good things with IPv6. I think the BSDs will have a headstart in rock solid IPv6 implimentation because of OpenBSD's headstart on work in this area.