No developer conferences (Re: Why Guy?)

Author:David McCusker

Paul Snively: To me, this just reflects the fact that there's really no such thing as a "developer conference" at all.

Is it not a really interesting gimmick? :-) Declaring some social function is purportedly for developers implies the developers endorse the PR agenda of some particular conference. What's the purpose of a circus sideshow? Is it really to show wonders and marvels to the public? Or is the purpose a mundane attempt to get some percentage of marks to pony up the price of a ticket? How does this relate to conferences? What's more important, the price of the ticket or the implicit endorsement of the PR message? How many more questions do I have up my sleeve? :-)

Anyway, conferences are often suspiciously about unification instead of federation. The consequent division of labor is suspect, like when Lucy always holds the football and Charlie Brown always kicks. Why not let Linus hold the football this time? (Why did Lucy's kid brother write a new OS in his spare time?)