Java's coming up

Author:David Valentine

jconfig is a great time saver. I got a java app programemr to use it so that he could get a browser window open on a mac.

I just had a demo for a set of java apps from ESRI, the GIS people. Thier IMS (internet map server) set of applications is now written in java. Thier free internet mapping product, ArcExplorer is java. For ArcExplorer, they have nearly rewritten their base GIS product, Arcview, in java (it lacks thier scripting language, Avenue). Many of the actual server components are in C, but those apps don't need a graphic interface. And the inter-app communication is Arc-XML. Very impressive products. see http://www.nationalgeographic.com/mapmachine/

In some places it's not a barn burner, but these are 1.0 apps. These products were developed over 18 months, which is surprisingly short considering the usual 12+ month pre-announcement press releases which usually accompany ESRI products. Oh, and ESRI's last set of products were nearly pure MS.

Impressive. Impressive for a 1.0 product. (well, it is thier third internet map server product).