Re: The BrowserCo / Wine Solution

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/16/2000; 10:12:26 AM
Topic:The BrowserCo / Wine Solution

They can merge, if they have nothing to sell that people are willing to pay for. And they have three years to figure this out. And if they fail, at least we'll have another browser that's not at Microsoft.. Having control of a very popular browser, currently the most popular browser, is an incredible place to be. After all the shenanagans in the stock market in the last few years, how could there not be a great business model?

Your second point doesn't ring true for me either. Why should code that implements windows, menus, mouse control, etc, run any slower on another operating system. Learn about WINE, it's a very parallel approach to what Windows does. As an engineeer I know that it works exactly the same way that Windows does. No reason for it to be slower, and probably no good reason to optimize it to make it run faster. The baseline PC these days runs at over 500 Mhz.