Re: Animated Ballmer GIF

Author:Fred Ballard
Posted:6/24/2000; 5:48:19 AM
Topic:Animated Ballmer GIF

Dave wrote, "The Microsoft people talk like Jeff Bezos, highly animated in a disturbing way. They talk in bursts. Loud exclamations. Hands wave." As with many things at Microsoft, it reminded me of IBM -- in this case its founder, Thomas Watson, Sr.

In "Think", a now out-of-print book on IBM, the author described Watson's chalk talks (an old buzzword?) to his employees. He used a huge pad of paper on an easel and red chalk to write on it. He would pace the stage, at first talking quietly, and slowly sweep up into a crescendo: talking louder and louder, waving his arms and hands, exhorting his troops to action. He would become so lost in his exhortations that he would often end up smashing the chalk into his head, ending the talk in exhaustion with red chalk all over himself.

Too bad we don't have an animated GIF of that.