Re: vision: purposeful online community for all human beings

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:7/12/2000; 6:24:52 AM
Topic:vision: purposeful online community for all human beings...

Why on earth should my friends encrypt and digitally sign the latest bad joke to make the rounds through e-mail?

Another good point--probably it would be best to do it by default if they are enabled. As long as we're making a list, how about the fact that Microsoft Outlook doesn't allow you to generate your own keys--if you want to enable signatures, you have to obtain a certificate from somebody. Any certificate will do, but the software directs you to companies like Verisign that charge money and ask to see ID. No wonder nobody uses it--most people don't know about downloading PGP.

If Mozilla ever gets off the ground, it would be nice if someone could build the kinds of ideas we've discussed into the standard email client. Don't know that AOL would really be into it, though.

I agree on the idea futures markets and so on. But telling people to use encryption so they can have an idea futures market someday is probably not going to work. We need a working implementation--then when people want to sign on you can say, "Ok, here's how you get started..."