Re: How do you trust the messenger?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/14/2000; 9:13:06 PM
Topic:How do you trust the messenger?

Very well put. I emailed today with one of the editors at ZD who had been reading DaveNet since its inception, and he said pretty much the same thing as you (he wanted his comments off the record, since the split betw ZDNet and the magazines, they're trying to keep the lines clear).

Cooper saw a flaw, pounced on it, didn't look any further, wrote his piece, and imho, looks bad, even hypocritical. A little fact-checking would have saved him the embarassment of the retraction that is inevitable. All the money they spend is wasted if one of their columnists can go off on a rant based on an incorrect premise. Where was his support staff?

BTW, I was very proud of all the Scripting News people who posted on the the ZDNet DG. Even though there were flames from others, people stayed right on topic, didn't give in to the temptation to call him names, or indulge in flights of fancy.

I even saw the term "amateur" used in the right way, with pride.