The cube.

Author:Robert Cassidy

AppleInsider has a picture of what they claim is the Apple cube. I still like the Cobalt Qube. It's prettier, and it comes without the attitude. (As of 5:52PM, AppleInsider is not responding. If one were paranoid, one might think Apple's lawyers had something to do with it.)

I wouldn't like the Qube on my desk. Too distracting, though it is pretty. The G4 cube is a nice balance - a bit more subtle.

The two are remarkably similar, however. They spec very similarly between the top-end Qube 2 and the low end G4 cube, both at $1799. The Qube has dual 100Mbit and a PCI slot which makes sense for a server, the G4 has a much faster processor, greater memory expansion, Firewire, and Airport, which makes sense for a machine that is more multipurpose. Otherwise (RAM, disk, etc.) they are very close. With MacOSX, the G4 cube will be a mighty attractive Frontier server...

I love the way you get at the internals of the G4 cube though, and the pop-up DVD is very slick. Right now, I *really* want one. It'll wear off in a few days...