Re: p2p via xml-rpc?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/19/2000; 6:34:25 PM
Topic:p2p via xml-rpc?

Andrew, why is that a problem?

It shows something that we should always remember, it's the app that drives the market, not the elegance of the protocol. In fact, it's very often inversely related. The Napster guys have done an incredible job, and they're moving really fast.

Compare that to all the second-guessing and hand-wringing going on in XML-land.

I get a feeling of deja vu, just like in 1994, when all the gorillas had been arguing over stupid shit we can't even remember anymore, while HTTP and HTML, total hacks, were taking over the world.

I suspect it's at least possible that all the work we did with SOAP is down the toilet now, that Microsoft will eventually scrap dot-net, and be Napster-compatible.

Will we ever learn the lessons? Will we ever study history and not repeat the mistakes? Nah. We wouldn't be human if we did.

Now it's time for a picture of some cheesecake.

"cheesecake"