Re: Open Source -- a void unto itself

Author:Dan Lyke
Posted:7/21/2000; 11:08:39 AM
Topic:Open Source -- a world onto itself

I heard SOAP mentioned a lot at the conference. Usually as "I'd rather use XML-RPC because no two implementations of SOAP can talk to each other."

Sure, little was mentioned in the sessions, but who goes to conferences for the sessions? I went to sit in the bar and talk to people, to go to the BOFs and track down the interesting hecklers, find the wild-eyed ravers in the hallways and listen for the insights amongst the madness. Yeah, there's an occasional Damian Conway talk that's worthwhile, but...

As for why there was little discussion of the Dot-Net stuff, it's 'cause nobody cared to use the name given to the concept by some Johnny-come-lately who's been shown to not play well with others in the past. From what I can puzzle out from the marketing hype, Dot-Net is what Mozilla is being built for, what Cam's been doing for Alphanumerica, it's what you and the other XML-RPC hackers have been doing, it's what people are playing with in wireless applications.