Re: Why MacOS X Server?

Author:Paul Snively

Phil Suh: How could Apache be better/why aren't you wild about it?

I know nothing about it, 'cept that it's wildly popular. Most people who I talk to about it just assume that it's the way to go for Unix servers.

Apache has evolved quite a ways from relatively humble beginnings. For some time now there's been a better-performing server with a better overall architecture that has had the same economic argument as Apache (that is, it costs nothing) and, recently, has attained the same evolutionary argument as Apache (it's open source): AOLServer.

While AOLServer has a technical lead over Apache, its relative recent moves to both financial and code-control freedom have left it behind Apache in acceptance. There are also probably cultural factors revolving around the "AOL" in its name, and the fact that it makes a strong commitment to TCL as its scripting language (that is, it builds-in a TCL interpreter and its configuration is via TCL). However, it also has a C-based module system, so there's nothing whatsoever to prevent people from extending it to integrate tightly with Perl, Java, Python, you name it.