Re: Java WORA

Author:David Valentine

I agree. Somehow confused. From what I read, MS Java was the cause of a lot of problems. If you wrote java on a Mac or unix box, it would usually port to windows with no problems, but not vice versa.

Also, if you optimized for the MS java machine...

So the disappearence of MS java is not necessarily a bad thing. But it would sure be nice if MS at least shipped Sun's windows implementation on thier install CD's, if not installed.

But I see Chucks point of view. For many things, WORA can be fullfilled without the compiling to bytecode. With the advent of linux and autoconf, you can build for lot's of platforms.

Just look at perl and the CPAN module. Module missing? fire up cpan and fetch it, and any required files. e.g. perl -MCPAN -e shell
i XML
install XML::DOC

Now, for sending code down the wire to an unknown machine, the only way to send is java. Java was designed with a sandbox, which has been pryed open slightly due to MS captiveX. If you send code any other way you are missing part of the audience.

The biggest advantage of java thing is something like java servlets. You are targeting one API that runs on nearly all platforms. It works.