Re: Java vs MS Common Runtime

Author:Timothy O'Hear
Posted:7/26/2000; 1:49:08 PM
Topic:Java vs MS Common Runtime

Basically, it tells me that programming in Java isn't fun enough, and in my case, that translates pretty directly to "Java still requires me to spend too much time and energy dealing with minutae that have nothing to do with my goals" relative to other languages that I prefer.

Thanks a lot for the feedback Paul, unfortunately I'm still stuck with "people using Java seem pretty happy with it, and it’s definitely hip, on the other hand a lack of high-profile applications isn't particularly reassuring".

It really bothers me that companies such as, say, UserLand, who appear to have an open, multi-platform development approach that would in theory benefit massively from Java don't seem to be considering it at all.

Guess I'll have to spend more time looking at it to form my own opinion. Drat.

Which are the languages you prefer over Java?