Re: We'll love them with our money

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:7/27/2000; 11:21:13 AM
Topic:Boycott the record industry?

Respectfully disagree.

The argument is about control, not damages. The RIAA wants to exert their *control*, their right to determine how music is distributed. The damages issue didn't even come up Napster's court hearing, the issue was pure and simple whether the use of music owned by RIAA members was authorized or unauthorized. Unauthorized distribution is a copyright violation *WHETHER OR NOT IT DAMAGES THE OWNER OF THE COPYRIGHT*.

That's why I'm objecting to Dave's plan, which will help the RIAA simply to exert and extend their control over the distribution of music. I don't want to bribe them or anything like that. I don't want to pay another dollar for the trucking model of distribution which rips off artists. I want to *force* a change, one that will fairly compensate artists.

If Dave's plan works, do you think these execs will all of a sudden love their customers? They view every one of us as nothing better than a pirate. They said as much in court during the Napster hearing. Rather than love, acceptance of the new state of affairs and movement, I expect a huge amount of rage and incoherent posturing from the RIAA if Dave gets everyone of us to do what he suggests.

Is that constructive?