Re: Paying for software/price point

Author:Ralph Hempel
Posted:7/31/2000; 9:10:49 AM
Topic:Paying for software/price point

At the commercial price for Frontier, I wouldn't give it a second thought. I don't have time to learn the full scripting environment and I don't have $899 a year worth of web serving needs.

I guess I'm in the same boat. I used the 5.0.1 version of Frontier for the PC for about a year. Then I got a 6.1 licence from someone who did some work for Userland and got 5 Licences to distribute at his discretion.

OK, now that that's out of the way, I'd be more than happy to pay $99 or even $199 for Frontier for my own needs. I just don't have that much web writing to do. On the otehr hand, it's a great product, and I'm finding I am almost ready to ditch Word and use Frontier instead. I have a decent HTML to RTF converter and it does everything I want for technical documents. It's all in the outliner, doesn't everybody get this?

The commercial price is just too high for me, and I'd suspect that most of the folks that got free Manila sites would be happy to pay to keep the sites going. Or maybe just new users should pay....

I know there used to be a multi-tiered pricing for Frontier, but maybe it should be reexamined in light of Manila and radio.userland. Maybe a subscription for just the parts you need. Maybe letting the bigger userbase help to support the product for non-commercial subscriptions. The possibilities are endless.

Userland is a great idea, and the fact that Dave is willing to keep plugging away in the face of a personal net-negative outcome shows that he is either crazy or just loves to have fun. I'm betting on the latter.

Don't sell out - they'll kill it because they don't get it.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel P.Eng.