Re: Lab Books and Lawyers

Author:Jay Woods
Posted:8/5/2000; 5:25:32 AM
Topic:Lab Books and Lawyers

The use of lab notebooks is also required in most industrial chemical labs. As a programmer they have been just as valuable. It has taken a large chunk of my life to get to the point of 'thinking in the notebook'. The difference between Ralph Hempel and I is that because the web allows for the timestamping (that makes it a legal record) I keep my notes online. Each day I use a hacked version of mirror to send all the changed pages to Altavista for indexing and to establish the timestamping. There are other methods that qualify as legal records such as burning CDs. The courts have never required the records to be unalterable, just that the time series exists as a permanent record. As an example of a general log, see NOTES . It is starting to resemble Discuss.UserLand for some strange reason. As a collection of notes on how to keep the scientific notebook, see NOTEBOOK.

Sketching is definately the major weakness in thinking online. However, flat bed scanners have become so common, it is no longer a good excuse. Inexpensive ones are $50. 4-in-1 printers are in the $300 to $400 class to handle sheet feeding and catch up on the back log. Scan in the paper sketches, link in the GIFs, and go on. Now they are in digital form for annotation and indexing.