Re: Another view on Napster: Pulling down the firewalls

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/5/2000; 9:28:55 AM
Topic:Another view on Napster: Pulling down the firewalls

Phil, next week we're going to replace the responder in Radio UserLand with a smaller version of mainResponder.respond. Basically, it won't have support that Manila requires, but it will be a fully general HTTP server.

I had a change of heart last week. IIS can serve any media type, as can WebSTAR and Apache, Frontier can too. These products are all serving a standard well-defined purpose. We want to say that Radio UserLand is a full HTTP server, in order to be competitive in the market.

I apologize for the flip-flop. I was being driven by irrational fear. It's not unlike my early idea of limiting EditThisPage.Com to 250 sites. I was scared, I had no idea how many sites one NT machine could host. In the end it was much better to simply not have any limit, and deal with whatever problems arise from that.

Same idea here.