Re: Copy protection and music software

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/9/2000; 9:00:06 PM
Topic:Copy protection and music software

BTW, a lot of computer dealers were unapologetic pirates too. We'd get customer support calls from people who "got MORE with the computer" yet had no regcard and their dealer wasn't one of our dealers. When we'd call the dealer they'd say they ordered from Softsel (the big distributor) and we had no way of knowing, since Softsel didn't tell us who they sold to.

Where does all that lead? The only software that got made was stuff you could sell to the corporations. Look at Symantec's product line for a clue. When people ask why no updates to MORE. That's why.

I wrote about this a year ago. You want software that's designed for users? Get ready to pay real money for it. Otherwise you won't get it. (Sound familiar? That's what the music execs are saying, and they're right. Some amount of music will be done for love, but to sustain it, you gotta make money. Studio time costs money, and the people who make the music have a right to eat and live in a nice house. In software, there's no debate about this, engineers are expensive. If you don't pay them they go elsewhere. Even if you pay them they go elsewhere!)