Re: Potentially as dangerous as patents

Author:Robert Bierman
Posted:8/15/2000; 2:08:50 PM
Topic:Potentially as dangerous as patents

This is even worse then patents in some ways... this could stifle innovation twice (once stifled because programmers may be held liable for corporate developments, twice because that corporation may not have investor money to pay that developer with) with anything relating to copyrights, at all.

I can not beleive this will hold up. If it does then all common sense is gone.

Is Xerox , its Stock Holders and the employees of Xerox (and other photocopier and scanner companies) libal because the created the equipment that allows the copyright infringment.

What about VCR and CD-R manufactures, etc.?

Nonsense, the orignal ruling against Napster was wrong, they do not have copyrighted material on their servers. They only have an index to material, is a card catalog in the library illegal?

Is the CDDB (CD Database at http://www.cddb.com/) illegal, they have the name of almost every CD, it's artist, the track names, etc.

The real problem is our government and legal system need to be educated and shown (again) that innovation is not a crime.

[Disclaimer: The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of UserLand Software, Inc. and the author, Robert Bierman, is solely responsible for it's contents.]