Re: Directory stuff

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/23/2000; 8:42:09 PM
Topic:Directory stuff

OK, there's no root to the tree, like the Web there are an infinite number of roots.

If I stumble across your directory and say "Wow I know where that fits into my directory," I put in a node into my outline that's a hyperjump. When I render my directory, the renderer grabs yours and renders it in my space, in my template, however with full credit to you when the reader is browsing in your space.

Of course since your directory is on the Web, I can just point to it.

But here's where it gets really sexy. Suppose there are two people keeping directories of weblogs. I like them both. I can link them both into my weblogs section and on my site it's the combination of the two. This is the rocket science part. I haven't figured out how to give proper credit in these sections, but this is how it routes around DMOZ and Yahoo, multiple editors for each category and completely distributed, and competitive.

I could see 20 full web directories coming from this architecture, and thousands of micro-directories. I also think it might be a good idea for DMOZ to adopt our tool, it could probably dramatically improve the productivity of their edtiors. I would also welcome their embrace of the distributed idea.

And btw, all the formats are open, and anyone can clone it. Got a better tool? More power to you.