Re: An artist who programs speaks up

Author:Patrick Connors
Posted:8/24/2000; 6:57:09 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Well, not just "Easy to use" - that's a technical and interface problem, and not too hard to solve (from my programming point-of-view).

But there's a cultural shift involved here as well.

At the moment, it's accepted all over that 'it's okay to give away someone else's art'. And so said giving-away is tolerated.

The cultural shift I'm thinking of is a cultural shift in which everyone realizes to some extent that creative people must be supported in their creativity. So as the software that supports micropayments on new works comes on-line, it gets used and creators get the continuing support they need. In a way that's easy for everybody - including the creator - to use, because many creative people in my circle are terrible business people.

Getting across that cultural bridge is the hard part. It hasn't happened in hundreds of years, but it could happen in time for me to use it.