Re: scriptingNews outline for 8/26/2000

Author:Brett Glass

Well, Dave, as we all know very well, having the right to something does not mean that everyone will respect that right.

I think it's a good thing that copyright law gives you the rights to what you create by default, unless you relinquish them. Otherwise, you would have to register everything you did, to establish ownership, before showing it to anyone. This would discourage the dissemination of creative work terribly and create a huge pitfall for creative people everywhere.

You don't need to be a lawyer to know that your work, published or unpublished, is yours. It feels fair and right, and most musicians, artists, and programmers know that it's the law as well. I suspect that many of the people who voted that your program was "open source" were more confused about the definition of "open source" than about what your rights were! I'd wager that if you were to change your question to ask, "Is anyone allowed to use this code in his or her own program without asking permission?" you would get very different results.

--Brett