Re: scriptingNews outline for 8/26/2000

Author:Brett Glass

At the moment of decision, do I open source or not, trust is the biggest issue. I want to know that if I do the open thing, I'm not going to lose my power to move forward. If that's what I have to give up, then no thanks.

You could certainly lose the power to steer the ship.

Frankly, I see no benefit to you if you make your code freely available under any license. You're not hurting for development resources; you wouldn't be using it to promote something else for which you could get paid; there isn't a whole lot that people could do with it if it were open source that isn't already being done with it. You might want to open up the technical workings more, and/or step up efforts to provide a free SDK and/or free hosting. But giving away the farm would not benefit you, IMHO.

--Brett Glass