Re: Urgency gets noticed -- and in this case is justified

Author:arlen.p.walker@jci.com

Well, actually, Urgency doesn't always get noticed. At least in any meaningful way. A continuous stream of urgency usually gets tuned out rather quickly. Our systems aren't built to survive on a steady diet of urgency. It's called "burn-out."

Take me, for example. I rarely read any of Mr. Glass's posts anymore. I figure I already know what's going to be in them. I have this feeling that even if the subject were the weather, Mr. Glass would say the reason the day is cloudy is because Stallman GPL'ed the sun.

Is that fair to him? No, I don't think so. But, alas, my purpose in reading the discussions isn't to be fair to any particular poster. My purpose is to acquire information, to see things from another point of view. To do this with any pretense of efficiency requires skipping posts with little or no new content. I've seen that point of view, now. (Actually,I had seen it long before I first heard of Mr. Glass, and had made choices of tools for projects based on the limitations of the GPL.) Now it's time to move on to examine another POV.

I'm not interested in demonizing anyone, be he Richard Stallman or Bret Glass. There are demons enough in this world; we have no need to manufacture more of them.