Re: Mac OS X and Frontier

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:8/31/2000; 4:03:36 PM
Topic:Mac OS X and Frontier

It's not my place to comment directly on your proposal, to say the least.

While I love outliners, certainly that is not a compelling corporate concept, though a heck of a lot of individual users, including me, certainly "got it" with Thinktank (!) and, as Dave points out, outliners have migrated into OSes, etc.

However, I really believe that "weblogs" are a seminal metaphor and application type and that Frontier (arbitrarily-complex scripted weblogs), Manila (power- and end-user templated weblogs) and Radio Userland (shared peer-to-peer weblogs, including chat, email and directories for enhanced "logging"?) really do cohere just as well from a marketing as from an architectural perspective - as the really great software designs do.

Certainly, any number of wrapper apps can be built around the weblog metaphor ....

I'm just saying that weblogs are a very rich type and, critically, are immediately "grasp-able" by anyone from a mom to a CEO. The CEO needs to understand (and can be made to understand) that weblogs are an evocative but abstract mechanism that scale and that entities (corporations) can have them as well as people.