Re: It's even worse than it appears

Author:Mark Alldritt

I can't say. The license is written in such a way as to make in impossible to know for sure if this is the case. And so the second level of poison is the shear level of uncertainty the license introduces.

At a purely viseral level, I say hell no, but reading the document again (and again), there are no special rights given to the original contributor. So, I guess, yes. Vary scary. I certainly think anything you wrote after GPLing MacBird that utilized the Applet Toolkit is at risk.

The core risk, as it was explained to me, is that if you choose to adopt some GPL licensed code into your product, you risk having the GPL attached to your entire product.

The LGPL (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.html) is supposed to address this issue. However, use of LGPL in the free software community is generally discouraged for reasons that are explained at tlength in the LGPL.

Cheers -Mark