Re: Oops, you missed some things!

Author:Dave Rogers
Posted:9/1/2000; 11:15:57 AM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

Precisely my point Joshua. Dennis seems to discount the entire notion of the "value" of "intellectual property," characterizing it as a "lie" simply because the product is trivial to replicate. That notion is without merit, because other aspects of intellectual property rights are firmly entrenched and respected in many other economic activities to include the design of products, the packaging, the advertising, etc.

I think the music example is a good one because it is certainly topical.

Artists should have the right to market the results of their efforts. Just because what they produce is easy to replicate doesn't make it valueless. The artist will accrue greater wealth through the greater number of transactions due to the ease of replication (low cost) in an environment which recognizes intellectual property rights, even as the cost to the consumer goes way, way down.

I think it is very clear the current economic model for music distribution is broken. There will be opportunities for many people to profit, including -especially- the artists, even as the price for music goes down to some non-zero quantity, approaching but never equaling "free."