Re: Oops, you missed some things!

Author:Joshua Allen
Posted:9/1/2000; 2:31:30 PM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

I'm not saying the market for IP based products will vaporize instantly, but it will be eroded. And it will increase with time, as more and more people get used to finding what they want on the internet.

Once again, I have to respectfully disagree. In the case of napster, for example, it is easier to download the music than it is to get up and go to a record store, even if the music were free. It is not the fact that the music is monetarily free that really motivates people. It is the fact that it is easy. If napster had a way of taking my money every time I listened to a song, I would certainly pay. There are quite a few nascent ideas for how to approach micropayments or "services" whereby you get IP without having to actively pay, but the artist gets your money nonetheless. This technology will work itself out.