Re: What to do about RSS

Author:Daryl

I'm not too sure I like the idea of incorporating arbitary base-64 encoded content into RSS files. RSS as it stands is a small, compact file format, ideal for automatically squirting between sites with minimal bandwidth. Once the ability to embed image files into the RSS stream becomes popular, the next thing we'll have are embedded audio and video files. Then RSS will become so overloaded that no syndication sites will be able to use it. (Even assuming more bandwidth becomes available, RSS parsers would have to implement a 'viewer' for each different filetype, etc.)

However, there's obviously a need to incorporate rich media in there somewhere. Maybe an extension of the xlink standard which allows the differentiation of embeddable and linkable content. That way, an RSS processor could choose to either embed the rich content, or simply provide a link to the content.

And as far as the BIG question goes. (To RDF or not to RDF?) The thing that's really attractive about RSS is that it's simple, and can be hacked out with a text editor by newbies. I've spent the past few months evangelising the wonders of RSS to non-technical web people, (e.g. Bands and online 'zine editors), as the format offers a lot of power for a minimal learning curve.

I really don't want to have to get back to them with an email that starts "You know that really simple file format which you understood in about five minutes? Well, it's, err, got a bit more complicated now. Do you have a few spare weeks?"

D.