Re: Wienerboys vs the Motherfuckers

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/4/2000; 9:45:33 AM
Topic:Personality, Dave's

Tim, if I said "Joe Schmoe is a wienerboy" (I didn't) that would be a flame. There's no rule that strong language can't be used here, or that half-baked theories can't be presented for evaluation.

BTW, the "wienerboy" thing is Chuck Shotton's invention as far as I know. Chuck is doing some incredible things with RSS. I've known him for a long time, he did WebSTAR which was the defacto Mac web server in the mid-90s.

Another btw, you might want to check out the FoRK list, which is not an open list as far as I know, I think you have to be invited on. I've been impressed that they have strong opinions there, using colorful language, but seem to never devolve into flames as other lists do. As I've gotten more comfortable on that list, I've loosened the restrictions here on what is and isn't considered a flame.

The regulars here know all about this. As often is the case, an outsider comes in and drops a highly judgmental and censorous comment in the middle of an otherwise fun and productive thread. That's why it would be a good idea for you to reserve judgement until you got a sense of what's going on here. You can't get that from one or two messages out of context.

I guess the bottom line is this: Your values don't rule here Tim.

Second opinion: Stick around, we discuss stuff that's near and dear to you, and we're making progress.

Third suggestion: Open up the DG on your Manila site. As it's currently configured there's no way to post a response to one of your articles, yet there's a "Discuss" icon at the bottom of each one. It looks like a configuration error. Set up your own policy, hack at it, and if you come up with a better way to have fun interesting irreverant discussions and avoid endless personal attacks that go nowhere, then we'll adopt your policy. This stuff is important, not to be dismissed with a single negative comment.