Re: Python in Frontier

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:9/7/2000; 2:05:55 PM
Topic:Python in Frontier

Anyway, it would (I'm assuming, anyway) probably require a massive undertaking by Userland to make Frontier a full-fledged automation server to tie into these services, but I believe they've already provided a few COM hooks that allow you to run Usertalk scripts and some other things. I don't know where to find the docs, though.

Frontier can call any Active Scripting Engine Language via com.callscript which means that you can type those languages in the outliner and then have them run. In turn, Frontier is a COM server, so any scripting language can call into it. I'm not sure the example on the page I've linked to is accurate, but the following works in VBScript:

Set fi = CreateObject("UserLand.Frontier.Server")
Set fi2 = fi.GetObject("Sub-TableofUser.com")
ttr=fi2.scriptName()
set fi2=nothing
set fi=nothing

I've used this ability in a number of my scripts, including winpoke, and my LDAP scripts.

Funnily enough, I've been messing around with this today in experimenting with a way for Frontier to run behind a single folder of an IIS server without installing the ISAPI DLLs.

David