Re: Python in Frontier

Author:David Brown
Posted:9/7/2000; 6:11:54 PM
Topic:Python in Frontier

Yes, it's possible to write a Python script in an outline, then call com.callScript. (For examples of doing this with VBScript, jump to the winShell verbs.)

Nevertheless, even if that works that's not as cool as being able to choose a script language for any script, and give Python full access to the odb, etc.

Sounds to me that the problem is that it's not going full circle. That you can compose Python in Frontier, and have it executed, but you can't complete the circle by letting Python play with Frontier internals (specifically the ODB).

If you look at the way ZODB was done (the heart of Zope), and at the way the Win32COM layer for Python was done, it seems to me that we could write some Python code that uses Win32COM to make access into the ODB seamless. We could use the same technique used in the ZODB to make things quietly persist in the ODB. We could close the loop.

Then we would just need some sort of structure (maybe like the nodeType system) to tag script windows as using different interpreters.

I'm sure we could get this to work, with minimal change to the Frontier C++ code base, if any at all. I think the only needed part would be the tagging of script windows.

I'm excited...