Re: monocultures (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/17/2000; 10:57:41 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

Josh Allen: I never said it was particular to Microsoft.

I thought it was implicit. My mistake.

Josh Allen: On the contrary, I think that the monoculture idea is a meme that is becoming more popular and thinking people like to use it to make points.

I sure hope so since I push the popularity of the idea.

Josh Allen: I also am unhappy about people who push "the one true way", as described in Popper's Open Society.

I'm not pushing Popper, I'm pushing my version of this phrase. While I like Popper, I'm not concerned about him in this context and I don't use authorities for support.

Josh Allen: But I think that to say that "variety is (always) useful" or "monocultures (always) output less" is an indefensible position.

Yes, now substitute "usually" for "always" above, and you will come close to my actual sense. Can you respond to the new sense with usually substituted for always?

Josh Allen: Monoculture is nearly always equated with "bad".

I only equated it to "less", and this only becomes bad when less matters substantially.

Why do we spend all our energy on twiddling over the exact meaning of my words? It's not useful to me.

This is not a pissing contest. I don't want any bad blood with you. I'm not going to be attacking you in the future to get even with whatever you say now to rile me up, so it's not worth the effort.