Re: abolishing software patents? (got IP game?)

Author:Kabir X
Posted:9/22/2000; 10:49:30 AM
Topic:got IP game?

Why doesn't it happen? My 'guess' would be:

  • Most inventors lose control of their creation fairly early in the process. Thanks to lawyers.

  • Those who own patent portfolios don't have the good of mankind as a priority.

    But the fact that it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen. I am not aware if there are any restrictions of form governing licensing agreements -- which are contracts. [I am not a lawyer.]

    The issues raised are particularly important when you consider software. Most of the critical elements of power structure in a society are either process or information [mil/police the exception].

    Both are easily captured in software.

    The act of building and using Software is political.

    Some examples:

  • Presence Protocols [AOL/TIMEWARNER -- shudder!]
  • Electronic Commerce
  • e Money

    etc.