Re: Gnutella is dead?

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:9/22/2000; 11:27:11 AM
Topic:Gnutella is dead?

I was always suspicious of Gnutella's scalability, since (in my limited understanding) it does a broadcast search for files. The article doesn't mention Freenet, which I think has the potential to solve the problem. People make a big deal of Freenet's anonymity features, but cryptographers consider its anonymity to be fairly weak--the really cool thing about it is the way searches work. Instead of broadcast, searches follow a linear path that zeroes in on the file. The same process caches files in a way that causes similar keys to cluster together, so the zeroing-in actually works. I don't think they've done any really huge simulations so far, but what they have done looks promising.