Re: Meditation on Simplicity vs Complexity

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/26/2000; 6:48:06 AM
Topic:Meditation on Simplicity vs Complexity

Aside from that, there's nothing to stop people from using namespaces just because the spec doesn't mention them. You could even drop the colon (what purpose does it serve, exactly?) and have all your nodetypes begin with your name:

russLiptonLink
russLiptonRssChannel

Those would be pretty safe.

And yes, we will need to do some kind of code distribution system for Radio UserLand, in fact some of the users have already started doing it. My concern isn't over name collision, btw, it's over security issues. We're getting a bunch of newbies in the loop and they might assume that because they downloaded some software from a community server that it doesn't do harm to their system.

Again, we need people, not machines, to review stuff, and decide if it's going to be part of our future.

I'm reminded of how we changed the name of Pike to Radio UserLand. We didn't know that there was a language named Pike. When we found out there was, we groaned and changed the name. Shit happens. We got over it.