Re: Vote of confidence

Author:Ralph Hempel

Dave Winer wrote:

This much is clear, something has got to change. Give it some thought. I'm not asking you to pay money for Scripting News, but what are you willing to contribute to the community to protect my reputation so I can stay focused on my work, and not have to defend myself all the time? I'd like to feel good about what I do here. It may be time to pull back from some of the things I've tried.

It's too easy to want to keep all your fingers in all the pies, only to find that they're too sticky to use productively.....

My free advice (worth every penny) is to let the smart community that you have founded lead its own discussion. My other favorite community leader at <http://www.lugnet.com> has built a sizable group and a reputation for honesty and integrity. The group regulates itself. We're not dealing with zealots or folks without manners. If they do show up on the group, they are ignored (right) or flamed (wrong). Eventually, flames die out when nobody rises to the bait.

My own rules of conduct on the 2-way web (they may be paraphrases of others) go like this:

  1. Learn from the mistakes and successes of others - it makes you as smart as they are.
  2. Share your mistakes and successes with others - it makes them as smart as you are.

Once the product or the community gets too big for one voice to be heard in every discussion, it's time to let things run their course. Otherwise is not a community anymore...Conserve your energy and use it for progressive, not futile goals.

Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng