Re: Vote of confidence

Author:Phil Wolff

As always, and never enough,

Attaboy!

I concur with the others in this thread.

A. Lurk and Pounce. I'm pretty sure you've tried this strategy at some point: ignore flames and ad hominem attacks, rising above them until everything settles down. Then respond in summary if you feel like it. Lower energy needed. This is different from the idea of owing everyone a personal response. How did it work for you?

B. Can we learn from popular celebrities? Presidential chiefs of staff?
     I suspect the CEOs of really big and visible firms, like Firestone and Harpo (Oprah Winfrey's firm), could learn from the relationship you have with your readers. And also from the relationships they have with each other through their association with you.
     I know Oprah and Bill Clinton don't respond to every letter; their human filters add value by choosing autoresponses, categorizing important and representative items for her review, and learning from Oprah and Bill the key messages and values they need to share with their various publics.
     I get shut down when I talk with doctors about communicating with patients via email or IM: they need the control and triage produced by going through their office staff. So important and urgent calls get through.

C. Scalable Solution? In addition to solving your immediate problem (freeing yourself from negative energy and time wasters, if I read correctly), it would be very cool to design your solution in a way that others can follow and that scales up to very large audiences. Maybe becomes implicit in the Manila environment.

ttfn.