Re: Bedlam (Feature idea)

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/25/1998; 8:53:38 AM
Topic:Testing a new feature.

Hmmm. There's an easy solution to the first problem. Make it a one-way list. Only notification goes out to people, and only if they request it.

Also, if the one page you go to every day has links to all the things you should see, then your reliance on email will be diminished.

I think if we want a new communication system it isn't going to happen in one swoop, it's going to be one step at a time, and while the software is important, paying attention to human needs and patterns is key to getting it right.

Also, consider the importance of having an editor, someone whose judgement becomes central to the focus of the group. At a company this would be the CEO, someone like Bill Gates at your company. Outside of big corporations, it's someone like me, who sets goals and provides stimulus and direction (and bug reports, MSIE5 has this nasty habit of scrolling the window when it scrolls a text field!).

And to counterbalance the editor, there have to be subscription channels, and a comprehensive fast search engine.

When all these are in place, it'll work a lot better here, and we'll be in a position to clone these systems, this isn't one-off software, it's intended to be programmed, customized, enhanced, by people in the Frontier community.

Dave