Re: DejaNews all over again...

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/25/1998; 11:41:57 AM
Topic:Testing a new feature.

>>With the few readers and participants Discuss has been delightful. What happens when you have a 1000 fold increase in the number of participants?

There will probably still be relatively few posters, just as there are relatively few people who respond to DaveNet pieces. What I hope happens is something that's a couple of orders of magnitude broder and more interesting than the Mail pages. If there are thousands of people participating, we'll cross that bridge then. That would be a great problem to have. The thing I don't want is to get mired in the same kind of sludge that open discussion boards get in elsewhere. I'll keep that from happening by editing with a heavy hand when people get insulting and negative or spam the database with advertising.

Or maybe make it'll be a very exclusive place, for a handful of people whose job it is to discuss all sides of an issue very intelligently and with the utmost respect. Kind of like Sunday morning TV?

One step at a time...

Dave