Re: What if there were a third browser?

Author:Tobias Hofmann
Posted:11/30/1998; 10:00:02 AM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

well, the first things that come to my mind are (in no special order)

- crossplatform is a must (mac, wintel, linux).

- if it crashes, I want it to remember the history and the open windows/locations at the time of crash. This is because I tend to have a couple of windows open at the same time and have a hard time remembering which I still had to read... :)

- a global, non-window-dependant history, sorted by date, alphabetically - ok, I just learned that nc has that on wintel: Ctrl-H. Might be helpful to others... :)

- different handling of bookmarks (than ie and nc): I would like to handle bookmarks like files, so I can better send them to people, or regroup them. Somehow I never managed to get a grip on the handling the big two propose. That goes even further: given scripting.com as an example, I would like the browser to grab all pages Dave is hinting us to with all the frames, pictures and the like (like the content I get rendered if I viewed it directly) and put that somewhere so I can read it off the net, or send the whole pages content to someone else. Which throws up the problem of what the content really is: my saved file or a meanwhile changed original on the webpages...

I am aware that there are tools for that, but I don,t remember one being cross-platform. Still, hints to a real killer, anyone?

- all important plug-ins (important to our work, that is :) should be supported (quicktime, VRML-player, macromedias stuff, acrobat,...)

- easy scriptability on non-mac platforms.

- small footprint, fast rendering, configurability (toolbars, prefs, etc.), complying to w3c goes without saying. :)

For a beginning, that is it.

regards,

tobi