Re: What if there were a third browser?

Author:Paul Goracke
Posted:11/30/1998; 10:31:29 AM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

Like the current browsers, most of the responses are overlooking the little things. I just went through a hassle of trying to copy and paste tables from a page into a text editor last week. All I wanted was the schedule information at hand--it was unintelligible. Saving the page as text actually _omitted_ the table. I ended up switching from Navigator to Explorer solely because of this misfeature. (IE is better at it, but still not as good as I'd like.)

I want the browser to act like a word processor/page layout program opening a read-only document. Let me double-click to select an entire word. Let me drag-and-drop the selection to a text editor. Let me select exactly the parts of the page that I want to keep at hand.

Right now, most are forced to print the page if they want to keep any of the page's info at hand and legible. That shouldn't have to be done. And if I do print, I don't want extra pages containing only the background image, or the right 1/2" of the page because it didn't resize horizontally down to one printed page. I'd like a print preview so I can tell in advance if pages will end up being wasted or my info of interest will be broken across pagebreaks.

As I said, it's the little stuff. Don't let the vision of "creating a new future" cloud the memory of the foundations of user applications.

pg