Re: What if there were a third browser?

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:11/30/1998; 10:37:56 AM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

Hmmmm.

1) I would say that my biggest desire, el numero uno, would be for a (preferrably bug-free) W3C *only* browser. One which *only* (did I say *only*?) supports the standards as defined by the W3C. CSS HTML 1.x - 4.x for starters. I want a STANDARD browser I can test againt. I'm not sure about client-side scripting... perhaps a DOM implementation in ECMA-script?

As for UI elements... 2) Location field Destination field. This may sound weird, but OmniWeb on NeXTSTEP had this for a while, and it's really cool. You get the url of the page you're AT, *and* the url of the page which is loading in the background. (post-click)

3) Don't load a page until it's actually here. let me continue reading the page I'm on until you're ready with the page I clicked on.

3) Lose the directory buttons (IE NS)

Over all, I want something stripped of its gaudy bells and whistles and does the few things a browser should do, and does them *well*. So far that's been much too much to ask.