Re: What if there were a third browser?

Author:Robb Beal
Posted:11/30/1998; 12:01:52 PM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

Redifining the question, what if there were twenty or so browsers each serving different professional groups (e.g. Doctors) and vertical markets (e.g. Chemical Industry)?

The location (URL) text field would become generic. There'd be a drop-down with at least three choices for the new text field:

Location (URL) Resource (URN) Directory (Directory Services)

For URN's, there would be a sub-menu of resolvers for common professional or industry-specific naming/identifier schemes. For example, typing "toxic:50-00-0" (where 50-00-0 is the identifier for Formaldehyde) and choosing the Natl. Lib. of Medicine URN resolver might return the definitive toxicology data for the substance.

For Directory Services, there'd be a sub-menu of professional or industry-specific Directory Service Providers. For example, typing "Dave Winer" and choosing WIRED's Digerati (hypothetical) directory service might take the user to scripting.com.

Two axioms: 1) Specialization tracks maturation. Bet on it! 2) Location and convenience matter. I'll use the "drop-down and text field" approach over the "find the bookmark->wait for page to load->enter text in page field->wait for results" approach every time.

Gotta run, I think I hear a VC calling :-)

Best, Robb Beal