Re: Person of the Millenium?

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:11/30/1998; 12:43:34 PM
Topic:Person of the Millenium?

I nominate Thomas Jefferson for Person of the Millennium. Though he didn't invent freedom and democracy, it was his refined vision and eloquence that inspired and continues to inspire democratic movements around the globe.

I can imagine a history without Jefferson. America wouldn't be America. France might be ruled by a king. South Africa might have remained the land of apartheid, with no hope of change. And so on. It would be a much darker world without the light of his vision of democracy and freedom.