Re: Person of the Millenium?

Author:dan@5280pub.com
Posted:11/30/1998; 2:27:08 PM
Topic:Person of the Millenium?

Wow.

Gandhi would have to be a strong contender, given India's huge population, as well as the impact he had on the human rights movements in the United States and South Africa.

Staying on the population beat, Mao would also have to be considered.

In terms of people who helped shrink the planet (and thereby had a very direct impact on our lives), you'd have to consider Gutenburg, Marconi, Henry Ford, and even Tim Berners-Lee or Bill Gates. (admittedly the last two are too recent to judge their overall impact, but when you think about how different the world will be than when they were born...)

Bottom line: My initial vote would be Gandhi or Jefferson.